Thursday, June 21, 2007

Clear in Some Ways, Incredibly Fuzzy in Others

It's been eight days since my surgery and things are going well. I had my one-week follow up appointment today and I still have 20/20 vision, though I was secretly hoping to have improved to Superhuman 20/15 or so, just so I could be that much more perfect than I already am. My eyes are no longer bloodshot, meaning nobody's mistaking me for someone just coming off a bender. I can wear makeup again, hallelujah, so I feel more like myself than I have for weeks. Now, without glasses, with perfect vision, with makeup and looking relatively normal, I am bionic! People everywhere are asking me why I am so damn happy, and I guess this is why!

However, do you want to know what's kind of disturbing? I keep getting email replies to messages I sent the day or two following my surgery. I also am getting returned letters/cards in the mail and other indications that I was apparently reaching out and contacting people, ET-style, and I have no idea what I said or wrote in any of these missives. Yesterday I got a card returned to me that I had sent to a couple that we met on a vacation to South America a YEAR ago. We have had hardly any contact with them, and yet I sent them a mushy card and included pictures. What the hell? Someone else has thanked me for the card and pictures I sent, and I have no idea what I said to her, and I'm scared to ask. Apparently I emailed some nonsense to a bunch of family members and friends as well, and I have no recollection of that either.

I also have a vague memory of talking on the phone to someone while I lay in bed and also watching a TV show involving cave swallows, a really big fish, and about a billion cockroaches. The posts I made on my favourite chat forum make no sense to me at all. I had two visits from friends while I was recovering and I can't remember what we talked about.

I blame the Ativan. Oops.

3 comments:

Christie said...

Hah. After my breast reduction surgery, I phoned James (he was at work) and left a message since he was out. Apparently I was slurring my speech and told him multiple times "I love you". Like you - memories are a bit fuzzy. Hah.

Foxy Renard said...

Oh my god, haha, this rules. Letter and pictures to relative strangers? I knew there was a reason I was resisting having my eyes done. Hah.

Val said...

It's still totally worth the shame. Doooooooo it.