Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cancer Sucks.

The world is a sadder, emptier place today. A wonderful woman has succumbed to the cruelest of diseases, fucking cancer. Sarah was a kind woman that I hardly knew at all, but her strength of spirit and wise words touched me and many others in ways that she will never know. I wish she knew that she made me realize how lucky I am to have my healthy body. I wish she knew that I realize that my problems are banal and pathetic and really, very minute in comparison to what she had. I wish she knew that I realize now that I don't know pain.

Perspective is everything, and a little bit can go a long way. In all of her trials, Sarah remained optimistic and loving. She was so generous to share what she had with the world. She volunteered her time, she reached out and gave comfort to others, and she loved. She appreciated her world, her wonderful husband, and the times she felt good, the times she laughed, and her time alive. Her pain was staggering and she stayed strong through it. She's a hero, an inspiration. All of us should be more like her.

Rest peacefully, Sarah.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. I went to Sarah's blog and read about her story, from diagnosis, to relapse, and finally her death. I would be lying if I said I didn't get emotional when I read the last three messages posted by her husband. She endured so much pain but she was incredibly strong and fought to the end. At the very least, now she is finally free of her pain and suffering.

Val said...

I know. I still get teary when I go back and read those sad words. Thanks for looking.